2.07.2007

Learning 2

Well once again i am talking about what i am learning about my topic. One thing i can say is that i have been getting more into looking for scholarly sources rather than unverified articles on misc websites around the internet. EBSCOhost is a pretty cool tool that Red Rocks has allowed all of its students access to... So far i have found a few PDFs about my topic and need to go through them and check out what information i can use within.

One thing that i really dont like doing is printing and reading a 20 page article and annotating it as i read.. I am really into the whole digital age- i think i am doing pretty well on blogs, although i can't say i'm a big fan... Even though i would never call myself one, or for that matter let someone else call me a tree hugger- for one thing i don't like wasting paper. I don't think it helps the process, writing is slower than my typing will ever be, and it seems to a certain degree that i am more inclined to read something on a computer screen as opposed to reading something on paper. Anyway I am going to see what i can do about it - i really would rather just use MS Word to make notes on a PDF or something and save it so i can modify and reference it later on.

Anyway now that i am done with my stint against printing.. I really feel that legalizing all drugs is probably the wrong way to go with my topic.

I think this is what i intend to prove with my paper- or at least make an argument at.

If i were to drink 10 liters of alcohol, it would probably kill me.
If i were to snort a kilo of cocaine, it would probably kill me.
If i were to take 6 hits of X, it would probably kill me.
If i were to shoot up a pound of heroin, it would kill me.

All of these things have one thing in common. They are man made drugs.

If i were to eat a pound of mushrooms, i would probably be throwing up for 4 hours and be high as a kite.
If i were to smoke a pound of marijuana, i would probably eat my weight in Cheeto's within the hour.
If i were to eat 15 grams of peyote, i would probably be spiritually enlightened for the next 24 hours.

So unless you haven't gotten the point - I believe and intend to prove that naturally occuring psychoactive drugs should be legalized due to their harmless effects on the human mind and body (and therefore the social, economic and political structure of the nation).

Research question: Why are naturally occurring psychoactive drugs dubbed illicit and illegal in the United States?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well....interesting....I cant tell you that I agree with your topic....however I think the research you are doing sounds really ....well researched. I think its good you are doing something you are interested in.....Do you think you will be able to find scholarly sources on positives about drugs???? interesting to hear more.....